Let’s try some live blogging. I am at Jeff Jarvis industry perspective.
Here are the highlights:
- We are networks – we have channels, we have shows, we have series. we don’t have money but not expenses. We are TV – and we just began. We are 1954 in TV – TV sucked then, we suck now, but we will get better cause we can’t get worse.
- The advertisers give up – they loose and so are we. Our real friends have hard time in finding us. There is no longer one definition of good. The definition of big changes – blockbuster is dead. The top 100 shows are still very small.
- It’s about conversation – the most watched list is meaningless, size doesn’t matter – but quality does.
- We can do things right, and define what is right.
- What should we do? Our roughness is good. We don’t want to be old TV- let’s hope we don’t become one. we shouldn’t have orthodoxy.
- We will distribute our content in various outlets. The viewers are not going to come to us. We have to go to them.
- Viacom legal action is stupid. YouTube gives recommendation on Viacom shows – why kill it?
- Old media is about control. We need to understand how we can work without control and still get money.
- We can work with the big guys, by cooperation. Viral is great but hard, but the good stuff are the series, that build audience over time.
- Money – I am not getting any money. We are not ready for advertisers.
What do we need?
- Measurements – Metrics is sex. In a distributed world it is harder than usual. we need context – we need a unique identifier to every video item we distribute.
- We need to experiment on ads
- We need to serve ads across platforms
- Trust and identity of our content across networks
- Help the advertisers and viewers to get in touch with us
- How to find good content?
- Relationships – big old TV won’t die and is not the enemy. they give infrastructure, we can teach them how to be smarter. CBS is doing great as they use Youtube, unlike Viacom
- Protection against regulation – this is not content, this is conversation. we need to fight to keep TV ours.
- Creativity – we will make better stuff…
This guy is very energetic, and knows how wake up the crowd. Read more at his blog.